SAS au capital de 10 059 500 €
RCS Lille Métropole 424 761 419 00045
Siège social : 2 rue Kellermann - 59100 Roubaix - France.
AVESTA GROUP LLC
114 COLLINS STREET
SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94 118 - USA.
Publication director :
The first French museum opened to the public in 1750
Initially housed in the Palais du Luxembourg the Musée du Luxembourg was the first French museum to be opened to the public, in 1750. At that time, visitors could admire twenty-four paintings by Rubens celebrating Maria de Medici and around a hundred paintings from the Royal collection (Cabinet du Roi) by Leonardo da Vinci, Raphael, Veronese, Titian, Poussin, Van Dyck and Rembrandt.
After these works were transferred to the Louvre, the Musée du Luxembourg was designated in 1818 a “museum for living artists”, or in other words, a museum of contemporary art.
The Musée du Luxembourg was closed after a national museum of modern art was built in the Palais de Tokyo in 1937, and only reopened its doors to the public in 1979.
In 2000, the Senate decided to take full responsibility once more for the Musée du Luxembourg, in order to introduce an integrated cultural policy for the Palace, Gardens and Museum. The Musée du Luxembourg has since become one of the leading exhibition spaces in Paris, enabling its numerous visitors to enjoy the masterpieces of Botticelli, Raphaël, Titian, Arcimboldo, Veronese, Gauguin, Matisse, Vlaminck and Modigliani.
A museum for all
The Senate and the Réunion des Musées Nationaux/Grand Palais are committed to developing an ambitious cultural policy for the benefit of the general public.
Carefully put together, the popular programme of the Musée du Luxembourg appeals to every type of audience, not only regular museum visitors but also children and young people, schools, families and those who are not normally interested in cultural activities. Various formats for educational visits and workshops are proposed with something to suit everyone, and at rates that are in keeping with the public service objective of the museum.